Introducing SSAB Weathering 420 ML
SSAB Weathering high-strength steel combines the benefits of weathering steel and high strength.
When fabricating with SSAB Weathering 420 ML you’ll get:
- Superior weldability and quicker fabrication – no need to preheat when using welding consumables with a hydrogen content HD ≤ 5 ml/100 g & heat input Q ≥ 1.0 kJ/mm
- Excellent toughness in both the base metal and the weld
- Superior corrosion resistance and minimal maintenance
- Lower life cycle costs in bridge construction and other structures
- Improved sustainability – no need to paint or handle hazardous paint debris, longer service life
- Reduced embodied carbon by using less steel
- Savings in welding and handling when upgrading from 355 strength level
The anti-corrosion properties of SSAB Weathering 420 ML are much better than those of the ordinary structural steels. Over time the steel forms a protective oxide layer, called patina, which adheres well to its surface and drastically slows corrosion. As the patina begins to form, the steel’s lighter orange-brown color turns a uniform dark brown, making a distinctive visual impact.
SSAB Weathering 420M hot rolled plate meets or exceeds the requirements of S420K2W in 10025-5:2019 as standard. Furthermore, SSAB Weathering 420 ML meets or exceeds the requirements of S420J5W in 10025-5:2019. Upon agreement, they can be delivered dual certified. SSAB Raahe Works is authorized to use the CE marking for structural steels according to EN 10025-5 based on EN 10025-1.